The 4-Year-Old Kinder Room has 10 positions per day for children aged between 4 years and school age with a qualified Kinder Teacher.
The room follows a play-based, emergent curriculum and incorporates more structure within the room than 3-Year-Old to prepare for school readiness. We have project work regularly throughout the year that is based on the children’s interests. Ideas and planned activities are extended intentionally and collaboratively with the children. The children have very specific tasks and responsibilities, and there are pockets of one on one teacher focused activities to assess their individual learning and development. Communication is key and we are always in contact with our families about their child’s readiness for school and school transition activities are planned to ease the move.
Our room philosophy and routines revolve around:
- Independence and self-help skills
- A sense of agency and initiative
- Ownership for items and creations in the room (everything has a place and children know where they should live, the children have cones with their pictures on them so that they can follow through with respect for their creations)
- Respectful relationships (we emphasize and encourage a sense of belonging and security between the children and educators in our setting; corners have been set up to create opportunities for small/large group interactions; independent problem solving and mediation strategies are encouraged so children can negotiate through friendship issues)
- Teacher-focused time in small group activities
- Meaningful literacy and numeracy awareness within the room environment and in everyday routines
- Building kind, empathetic, confident and resilient individuals
- A love and curiosity for learning
- Diverse experiences and cultures that are meaningful to the children, families and community.
Naomi Loh is the 4-Year-Old Kinder Lead Educator and Trang Nguyen and Tamara Walters are the Co-Educators. Together these three educators work to achieve consistency and maintain strong relationships with the children.